Friday, May 10, 2013

This is Unreal.

May 10, 2013

It's been two days since I arrived in Las Palmas and I still can't believe it! I walk around the city with a smile plastered on my face. This is exactly where I'm supposed to be!! I live on the 5th floor of an apartment building in "la casa del ninos". Six kids live here with four women who rotate staying here each day. Jaime is 5 years old (SO CUTE!!!), Alvaro is 10, Alfonso is 14, Masu is 15, Brian is 16, and Bea is 17. The kids are only allowed to live here until they're 18 but there are three other houses in Las Palmas that house those who are 18 and older. Sister Mercedes, the sister who set this all up for me, began a college for these adults where they can learn all tons of different trades. She is inspiring.

No one here speaks English. That part has been very interesting! It's very difficult but I'm sure my Spanish will improve with time (mucha, mucha tiempo...)! The people here have blown me away. They are so welcoming and light up when they learn I can't speak Spanish! Hahaha luckily, they're just as easily excited as I am.

Today there was a big fiesta at MAJO, the Salesian school for kids up to 18 years of age. Each class put on a dance and it was SO CUTE!!! I made many friends. Everyone here is so beautiful. I'm already thinking about how I never want to leave.

These two days alone have been a humbling experience. There is more poverty here than I imagined and I'm reminded of it everywhere I turn...mostly here in the orphanage. There is no toilet seat, we must take short showers because of the water shortage, clothes have holes, shoes don't match, you eat everything on your plate, but everyone is as happy as can be. There is so much I have to learn!

Until next time,
Christy

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the update Christy! Much appreciated. xo Sandy Lemke

    ReplyDelete