Wednesday, September 11, 2013

The Sisters of Cowley, Oxford

It's been a little over a month since I arrived and I guess it's about time I posted another blog! There exists a Salesian newsletter of sorts and this month it is focused on the sisters of Cowley, Oxford. I've been asked to write a little something for the column about my short and sweet time here, so I'll just pass it along to this blog. Here it is:


The House of the Love of God

                Mother Mary Mazzarello referred to the first home for the Salesian sisters as “the House of the Love of God”. After living with the Salesian sisters of Cowley, Oxford for a little over a month now, I believe she was really onto something. I have never before witnessed the Love of God so visibly everywhere I turn. Each one of the 14 sisters here is like a mirror of Christ reflecting His light throughout the house, making it ever so bright and cheerful even on the rainy days.

                The halls seem to be flowing with graces bringing peace and joy to every room. It’s really as if God’s rays of love shed light even the shadowy areas, as I have not experienced one of those “bad days” that I recall existing before my time here began. Surely this experience is attainable outside of these walls. It must be. God is so present and tangible here and I have no doubt that this is heightened by His warm, welcome invitation into the hearts of so many beautiful women living together for His purpose. If there is just one of the countless lessons I’m learning here that I could choose to carry with me through my life, it would be the unceasing oneness with Christ found in every heart.

                My time here is a blessing. I cannot put into words the impact this one month has had on me. I came to help but am receiving so much more. My duties include gardening, painting fences, helping around the house in various areas, and providing stimulation by engaging with the sisters. I would hardly call these “duties”, though, as I would choose to partake in all of them without being asked! Before I arrived, I did not foresee the days of sheer joy I would have in my Oxford home. I am forever grateful to the sisters for unknowingly deepening my love and wonder of God and I will always remember this time in my life that is trimmed in gold!

No comments:

Post a Comment