Saturday, July 27, 2013

July 27, 2013

                Eleven days and counting until I leave Spain and head for England. How quickly the time has passed! The week-long camp in El Bailadero was a great experience. El Bailadero is a big piece of property in Telde, close to Las Palmas, owned by the Salesians. It has a pool, gardens, a huge outdoor dining area, and a ton of beauty. During the week I mostly helped in the kitchen, learning so many new recipes and cooking tricks to take home with me. When I wasn’t helping in the kitchen, I was bonding with the kids. This camp was a completely different experience from the last. The kids were older and better-behaved, and it was so cool to sleep in the huge tents and bunk bed cots provided by the Spanish army! Some soldiers came on the last day to take them down while we all just sat and admired how quickly they worked.

                The most meaningful part of the camp for me was one night when I had to share my experience with the older kids. One of the sisters in charge, Sor Remé, approached me and said that the activity for the night was for the kids to listen to four special speakers, one of which was me! I told her I’d love to and that I’d go prepare something immediately. I asked if I should be ready after dinner and she replied, “No, we’ll begin in about 10 minutes”. I was nervous; I’m not going to lie! This was my chance to speak to the kids about having a relationship with God and I didn’t want to mess anything up! But I told Him to please speak for me, because He could do a much better job than I could. That’s for sure.

                We gathered in a big, empty, beautiful house on the property that was pretty much completely empty. Each speaker waited in a different room and the four groups of kids would rotate. I sat on the floor and anxiously waited for the first group to enter. When the door opened, the kids ran in and sat on the floor with me, forming a circle. It felt so friendly and comfortable, like I was about to share my life story with a bunch of my closest friends! They were so patient with my Spanish, helping me when I couldn’t find the right word, and they were so interested in my story. I think this was a new experience for them to talk to a girl somewhat close to their age who had a real relationship with God. They asked so many questions when I had finished speaking (and sometimes when I hadn’t finished speaking, which was funny). They seemed surprised that this girl who they’d been hanging out with for the week had this whole other side to her that they never knew about. It was so beautiful to speak openly with teenagers about God! This is a critical, formative time in their lives when they’re trying to fit in and define themselves. I hope that my words sink in and inspire each of them to seek a closer relationship with God. I wanted them to see that being passionate about the faith is an attractive quality in a person. Judging by their wide eyes and excitement in learning more about this way of life, I think this was a whole new idea for them. This night was an incredible experience for me because I felt that for the first time in Las Palmas—for the first time during my mission—I was actually spreading the word of God WITH WORDS. I do believe that actions speak louder than words. But having even one night of speaking with others about the faith was very special and I will never forget it. I did my best and the rest is in God’s hands.

                I had to leave the camp for two days to travel to another island called Tenerife for the graduation of my friend, Namibia. The night I left, all the kids were busy with an activity, but just as I was getting in the car they seemed to swarm from all directions! They were so upset that I was leaving (even though I told them I was going to return) and they said, in English, “You’re the best English person EVER!” Once they realized I was coming back, they calmed down, but this was so touching to me that as we drove away I actually started tearing up even though I was coming back in just two days! The people here are so incredibly loving. It’s like nothing I’ve ever seen before. Anyway, Tenerife was amazing. I didn’t get to see very much of it but what I did see, I loved. It is very similar to Gran Canaria, but greener. And it was so cool to see a Spanish graduation ceremony! Namibia is a psychology major, just like me, and this ceremony was only for psychology majors, which consisted of 78 students. The love and endless generosity that Namibia and her family showed me was very humbling and I feel blessed and honored to have had these people enter my life.

                To top it all off, one day after returning from Tenerife, I turned around and hopped on a boat to Fuerteventura! This was really a vacation. I feel so spoiled! There were seven of us exploring the endless beaches of this island for three days. We were a jolly little group, packed in a big black van and getting darker and darker (or in my case, redder and redder) each day. Fuerteventura is about the same size as Gran Canaria but most of the time it felt like the island was empty except for us! This is the island that all of the “giris” (foreigners) travel to for vacation, so the only people we encountered were from Ireland, England, or Germany. The people who worked in the snack shack next to our pool didn’t even speak Spanish, which was weird. It was interesting to see super white people again!

                That’s it for now! I have less than two weeks left and it’s time to start preparing my goodbyes. I’m excited to go to England, mostly because I can speak naturally with people there, but honestly I don’t want to leave Spain. I’ll just have to come back! That’s all there is to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment