Monday, July 1, 2013

June 30, 2013


                Today was the last day of a six-day camp we held for the kids from Polvorin (the very poor neighborhood). It was an all-day camp, beginning at 8:45 or 9 and ending anywhere between 10 and 12 at night. It was much more of a success than any of us imagined! It was great not only for the kids, but for the parents and the monitors as well. We had different activities each day: we went to the beach, the science museum, the library, a fire station (THAT WAS SO COOL), a beautiful, secluded pool, a water park, as well as different activities around the neighborhood. We were prepared for disaster basically the whole way through the camp but the kids really surprised us! I’ve never seen them so well behaved as they were during the field trips. They actually sat and listened to the presentations and were engaged and asking questions. The activities and games around the neighborhood were actually geared towards teaching the kids a different lesson each day, little did they know. For example, one day we played games that necessitated fighting, like musical chairs. Then, afterwards, we would get into groups and discuss why violence is so hurtful and should never be used. The kids debated, of course, but you could see the seeds being planted and their minds wrapping around the idea of loving one’s neighbor more and more.

                Each night, we would gather in the neighborhood church, San Francisco de Padua, and eat dinner together at a big table. The mothers of the kids volunteered daily to prepare dinner. They were so grateful to have the whole day free! They actually asked us if we could extend the camp for ten more days. Unfortunately, we were all exhausted after six. The last day of the camp, we began with mass and ended with a huge paella lunch where all members of the family were welcome! The kids were very sad to say goodbye, so I want to see if we can arrange a day each week where we all meet at the park. They’re the most energetic, crazy little rascals I’ve ever met but I love each one very much.

                Back at my apartment, the kids are home all day since school’s out for the summer. Something must be done about the boy I mentioned in my last post. The younger boys are taking after him very quickly and believe me, one is enough. What he needs is someone with him at all times, preferably a man. The educators and I have been discussing what can be done because things cannot keep going on the way they are. I feel so sorry for them because they are up to their eyeballs with stress. They say there is no money to hire another worker but I’m sure we can find another volunteer like me who can stay for a year or so. Yes, it’s just a year, but a year is better than nothing. Please pray that we can find someone!! We need a miracle with this boy.

It’s funny. I’ve been here for almost two months and still feel that this experience is so unreal. I bought my ticket to the UK the other night. I’ll be leaving Las Palmas on August 7th. I also said my first teary-eyed goodbye to a friend here, Sor Aurora, one of the three Salesian sisters that I work with, who left for Italy and won’t be back until the end of August. One by one as we say goodbye, it is bittersweet because on the one hand I wonder if I’ll ever see these people again, yet on the other I know that each person has taught me so much in their own way. They’ve shown me through their example—their kindness, compassion, and selflessness—such a beautiful way to live. I know that in the months and years to come, I’ll look back on a friend from Las Palmas and not feel sadness from missing them, but joy from the memories of the enriching experience I shared with them.

                Also, HAPPY ANNIVERSARY, MOM AND DAD!!!

1 comment: